On 11 September 2020, issue no. 116 of the Official Journal of the Italian Republic published Legislative Decree no. 3 of September 2020, which implements EU Directive 2018/851 on waste and EU Directive 2018/852 on packaging and packaging waste. It is the latest amendment to Directive 94/62/EC. It is the latest amendment to Directive 94/62/EC and contains updated measures aimed at:
- prevent the generation of packaging waste
- promote the reuse, recycling and other forms of recovery of packaging waste, rather than its final disposal, in order to contribute to the transition to a circular economy.
Legislative Decree no. 116 of 3 September 2020 states that all packaging released for consumption in Italy shall be “appropriately labelled in accordance with the procedures laid down in the applicable UNI technical standards and in compliance with the decisions of the European Commission, in order to facilitate the collection, reuse, recovery and recycling of packaging, and to provide consumers with proper information on the final destination of packaging.”
For packaging intended for the final consumer, the following information must be given:
- The identification coding of the packaging material according to Decision 129/97/EC
- The collection indications. It is suggested to indicate the formula “Collection (material family)” and to invite the consumer to check the provisions of his municipality
Packaging made by Packly has the packaging material identification code:
- PAP21 for cardboard boxes (both for SBS and PE coated SBS)
- PAP20 for corrugated boxes
Concerning environmental labelling, Packly identifies materials as per Commission Decision 97/129/EC.
It is the customer’s responsibility to enter the information for correct environmental labelling in artwork, taking into consideration the regulations of the country where the products are sold and the composition of the entire final packaging.
The Packly team is fully available to provide appropriate support.